These beauties have been on my to do list for some time.
I’ve finally made the time to create a masterpiece!
Since we’re heading to Rome, it seemed the perfect idea to prepare some great tasting breakfast and snack options. It can be pretty tough sticking to the rules when you’re out and about having a great time!
2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup almond meal
2 tbsp protien powder or coconut flour
(I used coconut flour because I need the practice!)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger
(could have done with a little more but I was being cautious seems as I know how it can take over the other flavours)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup walnuts
3 tbsp raisins
These are rough estimates, you can’t really make a mistake with this recipe. Just as long as you have a fairly thick consistency. Not like fairy cakes!
- Food process the shredded carrots and walnuts. Until it’s in chucks, not purée. A few seconds should do it. I usually use the actual ‘pulse’ function if you have one rather than the high speeds. Better control. Stir in the raisins by hand and put to one side.
- In another bowl, combine dry ingredients; almond flour, coconut flour (or protein powder), baking soda, and spices in a bowl (including the ginger). Place to one side.
- Whisk together the rest of the ingredients (the wet ones). And then slowly add the wet and dry together, making a smooth batter. Then stir in carrots, walnuts, and raisins.
- Heat up a frying pan with a little oil (I prefer to use a wok as the pan is thinner and I get a better cooked pancake. I may need a new frying pan!). Oil of choice for me is coconut, tasty and good for you.
- Then pour in the batter to your desired size and thickness. Flipping once bubbles start to show through the top.
Apparently, if you let the batter sit for a while you tend to get a better quality pancake… Not sure what the reasoning behind that is but I haven’t had time to try. Let me know if you do!
I didn’t get time to take any pictures so I stole this one from the afore mentioned blog!
Mine tasted A-Ma-Zing! And J approved 🙂
Let me know how you get on with yours!!